Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sunday Stills B & W with a twist Challenge

This weeks challenge was to look back at some of the other challenges and pick two and then take new photos. I am a newbie to the challenges so I picked a couple of subjects that I hadn't taken shots for and went out.

I decided to shoot my shots at night to get richer and darker shadows and crisper "whites".

I chose to do the "lines" challenge and the "landscape" challenge and the shots turned out well.




The shot of the landscape and lines were both taken along the Creekside area in Gahanna, Ohio at night with my new versa-pod.

The "landscape" was taken along the creek and I have included the originals as well for comparison.


The shot of the "line" is of the footbridge across the waterfall portion of the creek.
I perform Magic at the Old Bag of Nails in Gahanna every Tuesday night. The view is fantastic and I like to listen to the water as it goes over the rocks. The Bag has two patios and the upper patio looks over the whole creekside area.




25 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like the way you did both in color and B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carroll great pictures once again. Like the bridge the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I especially love the last one. It looks much more mysterious in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very neat to include the colour versions, the first one is lovely, great reflections :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought to take the pictures at night to get more contrast. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to see in both color and b&w.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very dramatic in both color and b/w, but much much moreso in the latter!
    Your first choice makes me want to think of something to write about that scene, and the second is such a good illustration of "lines"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Real Cool to see both the versions! Very nice shots. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I have yet to be able to capture a water/reflection shot that makes me happy. If the darned wind would quit blowing, maybe I'd get one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see that you looked for subjects that had high contrast. Each photo has a strip of white that stands out. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very mysterious looking in B&W. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly dibear - this is what I'm loving about B & W, the mystery it lends to images, the stories it reveals. Wonderful photos, I am especially drawn to the water and light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! I really like them both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww...the reflection is wonderful!Nice to see it in both natural and Mono too!
    KacyK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea to include the colour versions!! Wonderful shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is interesting to see both versions - your eye is drawn to different things in each.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first one is very evocative. I like how only a little above the horizon line is showing, making me guess as to the white reflection. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice that you included both color and b&w. Thanks for the info about taking shots at night. I'll try to remember that. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The reflection shot is so interesting in black and white...I don't know which one I like more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also thought about including my color shots..but opted not to. I think it is very nice that you did! They both look very mysterious and almost eerie at night..well done Magic Man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful! Hmmm I guess we were just supposed to post two pics...oh well i went wild with this one...I love the first shot you took

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband has such a great eye for photography. I can't wait to do this weeks challenge with him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my... what lovely variations! I do love the reflections especially.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete